This was a great year for reading books for me. I think I may have been the most disciplined in my reading and may have gotten through the most books.
My goal was to read at least 52 books and made it to 59, so am grateful for that. Some of the books were much shorter and others much longer. Some I listened to and my reading was mostly physical books but I did read a good number of e-books as well. Some of the books I skimmed chunks of, though most I tried to read all the way through.
- “God is the Gospel” by John Piper
- “12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You” Tony Reinke (audio)
- “Hobbit” Tolkien (repeat)
- “God in the Dock” C.S. Lewis (first half of book [150 pages])
- “Knowledge and Christian Belief” by Alvin Plantinga
- “Voyage of the Dawn Treader” by C.S. Lewis (repeat)
- “Pilgrim’s Progress” by John Bunyan (repeat)
- “Death by Living” ND Wilson
- “All Things for Good” by Thomas Watson (repeat)
- “Manalive” by G.K. Chesterton (repeat)
- “A Lifelong Love” by Gary Thomas (audio)
- “Francis Schaeffer: An Authentic Life” by Colin Duriez
- “Reformed Pastor” by Richard Baxter (repeat)
- “The Messiah Comes to Middle Earth” by Phil Ryken
- “The Compelling Community: Where God’s Power Makes A Church Attractive” by Mark Dever and Jamie Dunlop
- “Pensees” by Blaises Pascal (first 200 pages) (repeat)
- “The Distinctiveness of Baptist Covenant Theology” by Pascal Denault
- “I Was A Stranger” by General Sir John Hackett
- “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L’Engle (repeat)
- “Knowing God” by J.I. Packer (repeat)
- “A Wind in the Door” by Madeleine L’Engle
- “The Holiness of God” by R.C. Sproul
- “The Man Who Was Thursday” by G.K. Chesterton (repeat)
- “The Good God: Enjoying the Father, Son, and Spirit” by Michael Reeves
- “Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God” by Tim Keller
- “Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson” by D.A. Carson
- “The Life of God in the Soul of Man” by Henry Scougal (repeat)
- “Jonathan Edwards” Trailblazer Series by Christian Timothy George (audio)
- “Reset” by David Murray (audio)
- “The Great Divorce” by C.S. Lewis (audio) (repeat)
- “The Letters of Francis Schaeffer” by Lane Dennis
- “The Princess and the Goblin” by George MacDonald
- “Inside Out” by Larry Crabb
- “Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners” by John Bunyan
- “Reasons of the Heart” by William Edgar
- “Dune” by Frank Herbert
- “3-2-1: The Story of God, the World, and You” by Glen Scrivener (audio) (repeat)
- “The Princess and Curdie” by George MacDonald
- “Gilead” by Marilynne Robinson
- “Tactics” by Gregory Koukl (reread)
- “Why Should I Believe Christianity? By James N. Anderson
- “Autobiography of George Muller” by George Muller
- “The Holy Bible” by God
- “7 Days That Divide The World” by John C. Lennox
- “Phantastes” by George MacDonald
- “What’s Your Worldview” by James N. Anderson
- “Comfort for Christians” by A.W. Pink
- “George Whitefield” by Thomas S. Kidd
- “The Whole Christ” by Sinclair Ferguson (audio)
- “At the Back of the North Wind” by George MacDonald
- “Heaven” by Randy Alcorn
- “How to Battle Depression and Suicidal Thoughts” by Ray Comfort (audio)
- “Treasure Island” by Robert Louis Stevenson
- “The Light Princess” by George MacDonald
- “Systematic Theology” by John Frame (two years to finish this)
- “Christmas Playlist” by Alistair Begg
- “Heresies and How to Avoid Them: Why it Matters What Christians Believe” Edited by Ben Quash and Michael Ward
- “Otherworld: A Novel” by Jared C. Wilson
- “Gospel Primer” by Milton Vincent (reread)
Apart from the Bible….My favorite book was “The Good God” by Reeves.
Most helped by “Christian Knowledge” by Plantinga and Frame’s systematic. Most enjoyed George MacDonald fantasy books.
2 replies on “2018 Reading List”
Tom, this is inspiring. I’m not sure how you get that much reading done with 3 kids! I just ordered “The Good God” to check out for a possible book study for our church.
I also read the Whitefield biography by Thomas Kidd in 2018. That was great.
Reading Reeves as a possible book study in a church is a great idea.
That’s neat you also read Kidd’s bio, definitely enjoyed it.
Hope you are doing well brother.